Drainage problems can lead to costly repairs and damage to your home. Maintaining healthy drains is essential for preventing clogs, backups, and other issues affecting your plumbing system. In this blog post, we'll discuss five crucial habits for preventative care that will help you maintain healthy drains and avoid common plumbing problems. These tips are brought to you by the experts at Bestway Plumbing and Drain LLC, a Plumbing company in Woodbridge, VA.
Be Mindful of What Goes Down the Drain
One of the most essential habits for maintaining healthy drains is being mindful of what you put down. Here are some common items that should never be disposed of in your drains:
- Fats, oils, and grease (FOG) – These substances can solidify in your pipes and cause blockages. Dispose of FOG in the trash or a designated container instead.
- Food scraps – Use a sink strainer to catch and dispose of food particles in the trash or compost bin.
- Flushable wipes – Despite their name, they do not break down easily and can cause clogs. Dispose of them in the trash instead.
- Chemicals – Harsh chemicals can damage your pipes and disrupt the natural bacteria needed to break down waste in your septic system. Dispose of chemicals according to local regulations.
Regularly Clean Your Drains
Regular drain cleaning is essential for preventing clogs and maintaining healthy drains. There are a few simple ways to keep your drains clean:
- Mix hot water, baking soda, and vinegar to break up and flush away the buildup in your drains. This is a safe and eco-friendly alternative to chemical drain cleaners.
- Use a drain snake or plumber's auger to remove clogs and debris from your pipes.
- Consider professional drain cleaning services, especially if you notice recurring clogs or slow drains. Bestway Plumbing and Drain LLC experts offer drain cleaning services to keep your plumbing system in shape.
Protect Your Drains with Screens and Strainers
Using screens and strainers in your sinks, showers, and tubs can help prevent debris from entering your drains and causing clogs. Be sure to clean these devices regularly to ensure they remain effective.
Maintain Your Garbage Disposal
Garbage disposal is crucial in managing food waste and clearing your kitchen drain. To maintain a healthy disposal, follow these tips:
- Run cold water while using the disposal to help flush waste through the system.
- Avoid putting fibrous or starchy foods, such as celery or potato peels, in the disposal as they can cause clogs.
- Regularly clean the disposal by grinding ice cubes and lemon or orange peels to remove buildup and odors.
Schedule Regular Plumbing Inspections
Regular inspections by a professional plumber can help identify and address potential issues before they become significant problems. Bestway Plumbing and Drain LLC experts can assess your plumbing system and provide recommendations for maintaining healthy drains and preventing costly repairs. Keeping drains healthy is essential for avoiding plumbing issues and protecting your home.
Contact Bestway Plumbing and Drain LLC today to schedule a service!